Why do we sometimes charge fees?
The NHS provides health care free of charge, but there are exceptions.
It is important to understand that GPs are self-employed and offer their services to the NHS and they have to cover their costs eg. staff, buildings, heating, lighting, etc. The NHS covers these costs for NHS work, but for non-NHS work.
The British Medical Association (BMA) suggests fees for non-NHS work which is not covered under a GP’s NHS contract. However, these fees are guidelines only, not recommendations, and a doctor is not obliged to charge the rates suggested.
Why can it take a long time to complete a form?
Time spent completing forms and preparing reports takes the GP away from the medical care of his or her patients. Most GPs have a very heavy NHS workload and this paperwork is done in around the patient care.
When a doctor signs a certificate or completes a report, it is a condition of remaining on the Medical Register that they only sign what they know to be true. In order to complete even the simplest of forms, therefore, the doctor might have to check the patient’s entire medical record. Carelessness or an inaccurate report can have serious consequences for the doctor.
What is the charge? – Price list attached
Expected Fees (correct as at 1st Jan 2023)
The work will not start until payment has cleared.
1. Adoption & Fostering (form only) £24 or £76
2. Fitness to travel £45
3. Fitness to travel with examination £110
4. Firearm/Shotgun Cert £45
5. Full Medical examination and report £155
6. General GP Letters: To whom it may concern letters £30
(short GP letter to support claims such as: housing, school, college, insurance, COVID recovery
letter, taking medication abroad, etc
7. Holiday cancellation Certificate (excluding examination) £45
8. Holiday cancellation Cert (with examination) £110
9. Medical examinations HGV, PSV, Taxi, Driving Medicals, DVLA £155
(Subject to GP availability) Patients making appointments for HGV/Taxi medicals should bring
their form, a urine sample and their glasses if worn.
10. Medical information from a GP £155
11. Medical record – summary print out £0 FREE
12. Occupational Health / Ofsted reports Childminding/teaching £80
13. Private Blood tests – Not available at Aire Valley Surgery
14. Private medical/insurance form completion ie BUPA/PPP £45
15. Private Prescription £30
16. Private Sick Note (Periods within 7 days) £30
17. Passport/Driving licence signature – not available at Aire Valley Surgery
18. Sickness/accident claim form completion £30
Anything else not listed: Price to be advised once the documentation has been reviewed.